Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blog # 5


        I am second generation American – Montenegrin former Yugoslavia. When the war started in Yugoslavia, we assumed it would never affect the towns where my parents came from but it did. Remembering how people were so tight knitted and close just gave me a false sense of security. Even though I wasn’t there, we had roots there, Family, homes and friends. The war which Bosnians, Serbs and Croatians were involved in, I felt had nothing to do with two small villages in Montenegro but it did.
        We grew all anxious of what was going on, American news reports were short and not informative at all. When USA had decided to go in try to help, I thought WOW what an amazing country. I felt proud and loved that my parents choose to come to America and raise their family. I felt everything was going to be ok, until reports starting coming out Yugoslavia of genocide and how Muslim men had to fight on the Serbian side killing their own brothers, Uncles and cousins etc. It was another holocaust and I was still not accepting the information that was presented. Until I had family staying with us from the refugee camps and they told me stories and showed me pictures.

        I couldn’t believe that the place that I felt that everyone was free, no matter what religion what background you came back from we were family. I heard tales on eastern European woman were taking over jobs in the bars but paid no mind to them, just I figured their going to where the money is. Families here and all over the world send money to the families that couldn’t get out. Movies, documentaries started coming out and I broke.  Solid reports came out that UN peacekeepers were aiding or turning a blind eye to human trafficking, little girls form Russian or where ever they could get them. But over half over men were killed, so who were they bringing them in for? All to mask the corruption in the former Yugoslavia, I thought the American peacekeepers were going over to help not to cause more hectic. My world was turned upside down and looked at the world differently. Well to conclude my essay I watch BBC and overseas new reports now and try to see the real truth of what going on in this world. I also talk to people and ask questions.
        I am questioning the beliefs on religions right now, I feel it’s all an organization or a way of trying to get people to take sides. I always have been open and respectful to others religion and willing to learn about them. I found out a lot of the text in everyone’s Quran, Bible and Torahis alike. I found a balance but

No comments:

Post a Comment