Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blog # 9


        Who are the real heroes’ today?  People want to believe a person who is living the everyday hero lifestyle is the person we need. I disagree; I believe the one act can change a person’s life in a second. The hero does not need recognition or the glamour; it might be nice for a little while but not necessary. Real heroes do the” act” of heroism without thought just reaction. I am inspired to say the real hero is the person who commits the act, instead of the person who portrays the knight in shining armor. I have two examples of heroes of my time or at least my kind of heroes.

      Perfect example of a hero is Capt. Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, not everyone knows him but he is the captain that brought the plane down on the Hudson River. The accident was all over the news stations. Yes I know it was his job and the protocol, but he reacted and that saved all the lives on US Airways flight 1549. When they interviewed Capt. Sully his first words were Thank you but I could not have done it without his first Officer and the crew on board. He didn’t want the fame all for himself; he spoke about the crew being heroes and the phenomenal job of rescue. I was amazed by the humbleness of this person and thought to myself “wow” he’s a real hero. Capt. Sully did later on use his new publicly for a great cause. Capt. Sully worked on commercials with St. Jude’s children hospital and did charity work that raised money for the terminally ill cancer patients.

         Silent hero’s is the kind of phrase I am looking for when hearing about Michael Cawley. Michael was a firefighter that died at the world trade center. His story was one of many in the Daily News the following months after 9/11. Michael worked the night before covering for a co-worker and was relieved early the last day which was the infamous 9/11. The call came in about the attacks and got right back on the truck because he knew his best friend was there.  Unfortunately Michael lost his life beside his best friends and died doing the job he loved. I know his story is similar to most of the 9/11 stories heard today, but it hit home knowing he wasn’t supposed to be there. He went anyway, determined to make sure he saved his best friend and many more lives. It just goes to show you that acts are not motivated by fame and fortune. Their motivation runs a little deeper and I appreciate the humanity that’s left in this world.

      In my conclusion intent to “help” or a good deed should be genuine and there is no need for the circus show afterwards. Everyone should be reminded that not every good deed is shown on the news either. My personal favor quote is “Know in your heart what good things you do and just pray they outweigh the bad”.  

No comments:

Post a Comment