Thursday, May 17, 2012

Blog # 12 Directions on writing CATW Essay


First step in writing an essay is to read the original article than reread it. Start picking out your main ideas and the supporting ideas. How I do it is, I look for main ideas and make sure by finding the supporting/ evidence to what I think is a main idea. Than look at all of the main ideas and figured out which one I can write about best. That becomes my thesis/position on how I am going to set up the essay.

1st Paragraph

 Introduction to the article, I think of this as an opening sentence to my article. This is how I am going to introduce the topic I am writing about.

In my own words a summary of main ideas on the article I just read.  No supporting Ideas.

Than a thesis/Position

2nd Paragraph

Example 1 Personal experience- Derive something from a life experience; it doesn’t have to be only yours. Use family, friends or co-workers experiences too.

3rd & 4th Paragraph

Example 2 & 3 Use some examples from Magazines, Newspapers, T.V and Internet to show that these are stories pertaining to the article. Be sure to use one at a time in each paragraph. In blog 10 I used the Home Alone movie in 3rd  paragraph than in my 4th paragraph I used the story I read about My sisters keeper.

5th Paragraph

Conclusion- This is when I wrapped everything up in about 3-4 sentences about how I feel, advice or matter of fact words.

The flow of your essay is important; my essays tend to break off into specific paragraphs. I am learning how to combine and make it into one flowing read.

Grammar and spelling- it is evitable for me to spell something wrong like researches, a instead of an. I first draft and look in the dictionary and write down a couple of words on the side of my paper.

Just take the time to reread your essay and make minor corrections.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment