Thursday, May 10, 2012

Blog # 10 CATW Practice 3


      Predetermined roles for children? Lucille Forer wrote this article "How Your Birth Order Influences Your Life Adjustment”. A child’s characteristics, behavioral and how they view themselves are impacted by the order in which they were born. The child takes on a particular role in the family dynamic and learns different mannerisms. Just like the older sibling is the reliable one, compared to the younger siblings. I agree with the author on “It influences him to develop certain attitudes toward himself and toward other people and helps him develop specific patterns of behavior” This all coming from a middle child too!

     I have developed certain behaviors from being the middle child. I learned to be quiet but effective. To wait and listen before I speak. Some might not think this is a good thing. I found that I learned more, improved skills in whatever I was doing or wanted to do. I also felt there were benefits growing up in a large family.

     In the movie “Home Alone” is an example of the youngest sibling being irresponsible. Macaulay Culkin gets in to trouble and is sent to his room for punishment. Culkin wakes up late and misses the family vacation and is all alone! I this turn of events he develops the traits of an only child. Culkin learns to fend for himself because no one is there to take care of him. It just goes to show the adaptability.

     There are many situations which depicts this article like “My Keeper” is a story of an older sister having to take on a mentally ill younger sister. She becomes her guardian and provider, just like the characteristics of the older sibling.

     Everyone has distinct characteristics from our upbringing and environment. Be it good or bad ones, everyone needs to acknowledge them and make a change if needed. Having the traits or behaviors could be beneficial if used correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment